Location: Remote. An optional office is available in Brooklyn, NY.
Salary: $90k-$130k equity, benefits, and work-from-home allowance.
Please submit this Google Form.
Make cities more responsive, so they are safer, healthier, and more equitable for the people who live in them.
Numina makes a hardware and software platform that uses computer vision to help urban planners and municipal governments design better (safer) streets and public places. We sense bicycle, pedestrian, and other street traffic, and convert this data into real-time intelligence — without surveillance — to enable all sorts of partners in automation, autonomy, and development in the public right-of-way. We are looking for passionate people who would like to join us as we pursue our shared vision of more responsive cities.
WHAT YOU WILL DO HERE:
As our first Data Scientist, you will work with customers, from discovery through implementation, to translate Numina data into useful and actionable insights for their city, business, or campus. You will work closely with our CEO, customers, partners, and the rest of the Numina engineering and product team to deliver highly valuable services leveraging Numina’s unique capabilities and APIs. You’ll help establish and build data science practices at Numina. You will report to the Engineering Manager. As part of your role, you will:
• Work directly with customers to understand their questions about their data, and translate their questions to existing or future data & analytics features.
• Run analyses and produce reports that provide both at-a-glance and in-depth insights into operational, traffic safety, and other issues that customers raise about the places they manage.
• Develop technical solutions to improve accuracy of our spatial data utilizing Numina’s APIs and other aspects of our platform.
• Work to improve the training data for our machine learning based computer vision.
• Create demo applications and other proofs-of-concept to test and show off new uses and capabilities for the Numina platform.
• Work with the rest of the engineering team to identify high-value improvements and new features for implementation into the core product.
WHO YOU ARE:
You have 4+ years of professional data science experience. Like us, you value creativity, curiosity, and intellectual honesty, and you are committed to solving problems with us together as a team. Your desire to have a huge impact motivates you to join a small, incredibly productive team and do extraordinary things. You have the following skills and competencies:
• Proficiency in Python
• Experience working with modern web APIs
• Solid foundation in data analysis, statistics, and data visualization
• Comfort in customer-facing roles and with owning your own projects and being autonomous
Additional experience that could be helpful:
• Urban planning experience or background
• Working experience with Pandas, Plotly or Matplotlib, and Jupyter Notebook
• Experience with SQL, GraphQL, or Spark
• Front-end web development
• Good working knowledge of the core concepts in machine learning or computer vision
• UX design or research uncovering customer needs
• Experience talking to internal or external customers
WHO WE ARE:
We strive to be a team of positive, open-minded, respectful, resilient, dedicated, accountable, logical, creative, and empathetic people. We spend our days building an amazing product that makes a real difference in the world. We are a remote-first, distributed team, with an optional office in Brooklyn, New York. We are committed to seeking and sustaining diverse perspectives on our team. We encourage women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and others from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are backed by investors including betaworks, Shasta Ventures, Elemental Excelerator, URBAN-X (MINI BMW), and accomplished entrepreneur-angels. Past projects have been supported by The Clinton Foundation, The Knight Foundation, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. We are a small, mission-driven company that is growing quickly. If you’d like to join our laser-focused and fast-paced team, we enthusiastically invite you to apply.
THINGS TO KNOW:
• We’re a small team with lots to do, and there’s a good amount of context-switching. We expect people to be autonomous and drive their own work to completion.
• We’re scrappy and frugal. We’ve built our product at a sustainable pace and have always been pointed toward profitability.
• As a growing company and startup, work priorities may shift as customer or business requirements change. We strive to empower individuals with context and decision-making power to meet this need.s a growing company and startup, work priorities may shift as customer or business requirements change.