Location: Remote. An optional office is available in Brooklyn, NY.
Salary: Competitive compensation includes salary + health benefits + equity + work-from-home perks.
Our mission: Make cities more responsive, so they are safer, healthier, and more equitable for the people who live in them.
Numina makes a hardware and software platform that uses computer vision to help urban planners and municipal governments design better (safer) streets and public places. We sense bicycle, pedestrian, and other street traffic, and convert this data into real-time intelligence — without surveillance — to enable all sorts of partners in automation, autonomy, and development in the public right-of-way. We are looking for passionate people who would like to join us as we pursue our shared vision of more responsive cities.
As Backend Engineer, you will help design, build, and optimize our APIs and data processing systems. You will collaborate with the rest of the engineering and product teams to extend and improve our product’s capabilities.
WHAT YOU WILL DO HERE:
You will be responsible for the parts of our system that store and process data, including maintenance and growing the capabilities and efficiency of the existing system. You will also communicate system performance and product updates to the team and customers. As part of your role, you will:
- Work with the rest of the engineering team to review existing system architecture and establish goals and direction for scalability, stability, efficiency, and security.
- Design data flows and back-end systems to support ETL pipelines and delivery needs at scale, including time-series data, sensor management data, user data, and other types of data as needed.
- Update, extend and optimize existing API as necessary to support existing and planned needs of other systems (sensors, dashboards, maps, etc.).
- Update existing or create new APIs as necessary to support third-party application development.
- Help guide new application development with external partners focused on real-time services.
- Manage and tune infrastructure, making use of managed services wherever appropriate (e.g. Amazon ECS, Lambda, IoT, Kinesis, DynamoDB, Redshift, etc.).
- Participate in strategy sessions to develop the technology roadmap.
Skills and experience that will help you succeed in this role:
You have 4+ years of software development experience using multiple program languages and frameworks. Like us, you value creativity, curiosity, and intellectual honesty, and you are committed to solving problems with us together as a team. Your desire to have a huge impact motivates you to join a small, incredibly productive team and do extraordinary things. You have the following skills and competencies:
- Experience developing and deploying low-latency, highly scalable web services
- Experience developing ETL pipelines that handle large data volumes
- Proficiency with Python
- Knowledge of Linux administration and shell scripting
- Experience and understanding of container systems such as Docker and modern deployment frameworks
- Familiarity with AWS services
- Strong commitment to good documentation practices.
Additional experience that could be helpful:
- Understanding of networking protocols and security best practices
- Knowledge of messaging systems such as MQTT and Kafka
- Experience with time series databases like InfluxDB
- Familiarity with data processing concepts such as event sourcing and stream processing
- Experience with concepts such as continuous delivery and continuous deployment
- Experience leading a small cross-functional team of engineers
Some of the tools and frameworks we use:
- AWS, Docker, Linux, Serverless
- OpenCV, NumPy, TensorFlow, PyTorch
- HTTP, MQTT
- Python, C++
- GitHub, Slack, Clubhouse
- Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- G Suite
WHO WE ARE:
We strive to be a team of positive, open-minded, respectful, resilient, dedicated, accountable, logical, creative, and empathetic people. We spend our days building an amazing product that makes a real difference in the world. We are a remote-first, distributed team, with an optional office in Brooklyn, New York. We are committed to seeking and sustaining diverse perspectives on our team. We encourage women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and others from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are backed by investors including betaworks, Shasta Ventures, Elemental Excelerator, URBAN-X (MINI BMW), and accomplished entrepreneur-angels. Past projects have been supported by The Clinton Foundation, The Knight Foundation, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. We are a small, mission-driven company that is growing quickly. If you’d like to join our laser-focused and fast-paced team, we enthusiastically invite you to apply.