APPLY HERE: Head of Operations Application
Location: Remote. An optional office is available in Brooklyn, NY.
OUR MISSION: Make cities more responsive, so they are safer, healthier, and more equitable for the people who live in them.
Numina makes a hardware and software platform that uses computer vision to help urban planners and municipal governments design better (safer) streets and public places. We sense bicycle, pedestrian, and other street traffic, and convert this data into real-time intelligence — without surveillance — to enable all sorts of partners in automation, autonomy, and development in the public right-of-way. We are looking for passionate people who would like to join us as we pursue our shared vision of more responsive cities.
As the Head of Operations, you are the owner of all things business and people at Numina. Immediately, you will lead the charge on hiring and onboarding; scaling our tight-knit, values-driven culture to a growing team; compliance, financials, payroll, and reporting; and being the CEO’s right hand in fundraising. You will build and improve processes across the organization, supercharging the entire team to deliver its best work. You will work directly with the C Suite to provide tactical insights on team health and performance.
WHAT YOU WILL DO HERE:
- Collaborate with senior leaders to help the Numina culture thrive in a remote-first environment: Encourage employee engagement, celebrating work wins, and fun team activities.
- Set up hiring and onboarding processes, and maintain our inclusive culture in every aspect of work from employees’ Day 1.
- Develop and lead programs for recruiting, retention, benefits, Learning & Development, performance management, employee development goals, and promotions.
- Partner with employees and senior leaders to develop and implement HR policies and cultural practices to support the strategic growth of the business.
- Provide HR expertise in the areas of feedback, employee relations, coaching, compensation, conflict management, and organizational development.
- Manage all-team calendar; manage HRIS; run bi-monthly payroll.
- Collaborate with every member of the team — as well as external stakeholders, customers, and vendors — to ensure we’re delivering great experiences to our partners.
- Support the Growth Team on contracting, kicking off projects, and payments.
- Set up, organize, and maintain business registrations and certifications related to compliance in areas including but not limited to insurance, taxes, payroll, benefits, and more.
- Track supply chain issues, and vet our vendors for values-alignment.
- Manage accounts payable/receivable, and update financials.
- Maintain company data room, and support the CEO in investor communications.
Strategy and Culture
- Ensure Numina is upholding our values though every layer of our operations. Our values live at numina.co/our-values.
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously, proactively identifying and solving for gaps and inefficiencies.
- Establish and track metrics related to team composition, vendor selection, product performance, the company’s reach, and impact.
- Identify interventions, and design systems to validate and scale solutions that work.
WHO YOU ARE:
You are, first and foremost, a listener and problem-solver. Your desire to have a huge impact motivates you to join a small, incredibly productive team and do extraordinary things. You have the following skills and competencies:
- 3+ years experience working in a growing team and directly with company leadership, where working smart (not just hard) and handling dynamic responsibilities are key to success. A background in AEC/transportation, consulting management, or a high-growth startup would be highly relevant.
- A history of partnership alignment to build and improve company culture and increase employee engagement.
- Proficient and growing knowledge of HR programs and practices, with ability to learn any applicable local, state, and federal employment laws and regulations as our geographic footprint grows.
- Experience handling a wide range of administrative support tasks and projects.
- Extraordinary organizational skills and appreciation for the challenges of supporting a growing team characterized by diverse personalities, projects, and priorities.
- The ability to collaborate and communicate with team members at all levels, sometimes under pressure, while remaining proactive, resourceful and efficient, with a high level of professionalism and discretion.
- Expert-level written and verbal communication skills, and computer skills including the ability to use/navigate Google Apps (Mail, Docs, etc.), Keynote/Powerpoint, Quickbooks Online, basic word processing and graphic layout softwares, project management & ticketing software (e.g. Notion, AirTable, BaseCamp, Asana, Zendesk, JIRA, Clubhouse), procurement platforms, and others as needed.
WHO WE ARE:
We strive to be a team of positive, open-minded, respectful, resilient, dedicated, accountable, logical, creative, and empathetic people. We spend our days building an amazing product that makes a real difference in the world. We are a remote-first, distributed team, with an optional office in Brooklyn, New York. We are committed to seeking and sustaining diverse perspectives on our team. We encourage women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and others from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are backed by investors including betaworks, Shasta Ventures, Elemental Excelerator, URBAN-X (MINI BMW), and accomplished entrepreneur-angels. Past projects have been supported by The Clinton Foundation, The Knight Foundation, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. We are a small, mission-driven company that is growing quickly. If you’d like to join our laser-focused and fast-paced team, we enthusiastically invite you to apply.